What’s up with Forge World?

This is the place where hoodlums such as Cassarus and Snolb can frolic to their heart's content.
Tapeworm

What’s up with Forge World?

Post by Tapeworm » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:01 am

I was going down the rabbit hole today following the link on Stelio’s post about kill teams and it looks like Forge World is closing out a lot of the Chaos stuff.

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/sear ... 8800000%5D

I’m not really sure what to think of this. I think their quality has gone down recently. It used to be that everything they made was something I wanted and now it’s just okay and not worth the expense of having it shipped overseas.

Martijn

Re: What’s up with Forge World?

Post by Martijn » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:39 am

I recognise a lot of those models from back when I was still into Warhamsters - a decade or so ago perhaps? I can imagine ForgeWorld no longer being as "necessary" as it used to be now that GW itself makes extremely detailed plastic kits for just about any unit type you can imagine, so they might slowly be phasing the resin line out of existence.
Phill wrote:Every time we chat, you eat. Every time it is f***ing gouda.
Tapeworm wrote:A todger? :shifty: What's that?

Stelio

Post by Stelio » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:40 pm

They irregularly phase out old content, presumably as demand and stock levels fall, and it's now the turn for the renegade figures. Plenty of other lines have been culled over time. I think that's a natural process; it just hurts to see Chaos models go when they were on a potential "maybe one day" future purchase list. The Chaos Warhound titan body disappeared with no warning, so it could be worse.

In terms of quality, I think there are some definite improvements: for example the Plague Hulk (also gone) had a terrible mismatch in resin to plastic pieces, as the resin shrunk more than the plastic did; but the Chaos Knight, which also has both resin and plastic components, has no such mismatch.

But I totally agree with your point on the quality of sculpts. It always used to be that the GW sculpts were okay/good but the FW sculpts were amazing. GW are getting better and better, but more recent FW output is starting to feel a bit pedestrian. I look at the obscenely well-detailed Nurgle dreadnoughts, and I don't see that stunning level of artistry in the current range. There's no doubting that FW models are good... but they no longer feel amazing, perhaps with the exception of the Horus Heresy characters.

Maybe it's a lull in creativity? Maybe I've got used to their high quality and now have unreasonable expectations that they'll continually wow me? But I see big models, and I see faction customisations (both of which are great), but I don't see as many stunning models.

Martijn

Post by Martijn » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:48 am

That lull in creativity could also be due to GW's own higher standards of moulding nowadays. Ten years ago FW was sort of an outlet for sculptors where they could sculpt whatever they felt like, without being restricted by the limitations caused by GW's metal/plastic moulding process. Looking at the way in which plastic moulding has improved in recent years it's pretty much pointless for ForgeWorld to release new stuff, since it's similar quality to plastic for twice the price. I could see them still focusing on producing stuff that isn't "officially produced" GW stuff such as Chaos Dwarfs or Blood Bowl Slann teams, but I doubt there is any benefit for them to releasing random cool miniatures or conversion packs for existing model ranges these days (eg why buy a 300 pound resin Bloodthirster when the 80 pound plastic one looks just as spiffy but has more options and is easier to assemble?).
Phill wrote:Every time we chat, you eat. Every time it is f***ing gouda.
Tapeworm wrote:A todger? :shifty: What's that?

minamoto

Post by minamoto » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:14 pm

Martijn wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:48 am
eg why buy a 300 pound resin Bloodthirster when the 80 pound plastic one looks just as spiffy but has more options and is easier to assemble?
Disagreed!

The FW one is still more easier to assemble then this f***ing beast made of horns and spikes. Apart from that, this trend was "announced" many years ago when GW put FW in allign with their own processes and so far I know the "inhoused" more of the stuff happening there in the FW caves.

Remember when FW switched to the same online-shop platform like GWs, etc.? Lots of little steps from an administrative and marketing perspective were taken in the background. FW will be - maybe - in the future like 'eavy metal a own department supporting what's happening in the main product-range. Producing cool single models that might only sell a couple thousand times unlike the plastic ranges billiontimes. engineering a single plsatic mold still is massively expensive compared to "silly" resin casting. As Well in the time of CGI and 3D printing.

I think that why still they do character series and such.

BTW quality still is meh, compared to many other, much smaller, companies.

Just my two cents :seppel:
>> Text goes 'ere <<