Tuft Tutorial from Moss

Making something fun? Pics or it never happened.
minamoto

Tuft Tutorial from Moss

Post by minamoto » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:38 pm

Yo, I wanted to share with you a little and easy tutorial for creating your own little tufts made from ordinary moss clumps.

This tutorial basically uses two different techniques:
  • conserving what nature gives you
  • sponge-like behaviour of moss
wikipedia wrote:[...]The capacity dried mosses have to absorb fluids, has made their use[...]
Also there is little tools or materials you need to replicate this.
  • haispray
  • water
  • colours of choice
First we start by searching for the "right" moss, I luckily have square-meters covered in moss just in front of our house. There are some sort of paper-dumpster housing made from concrete covered all over in moss, plus there is some sort lichen that could be used just from all the trees around.

After harvesting your moss, spread it even on a piece of newspaper or anywhere dry (newspaper does have absorptivity). Just after that, spray the moss thickly with hairspray - if it's really wet - let it dry a bit first. Repeat to spray hairspray two or three more times.

Let it all dry for a couple of days.

I'd also advise to let it sit outside for quite some time as it could contain little bugs, centipedes or spiders. You wont have them in your bits box ;)

After drying a week or two, the moss may look really dry and brownish, that's okay, the hairspray helps containing the stability of the single leaves, underneath it may dry out und shrink a bit. This technique is used in floral business to easy conserve flowers. While drying, putting the moss into a dark place also helps preventing from bleaching out by the sun.

Now the fun part begins.
Take whatever colour you like and thin it roughly about 1-2 parts with water to 1 part colour. Now start gently applying the water-colour mix over the moss clump. Be gentle else you might break off to many leaves and your moss looks naked - let it dry - et voila.

Repeat this until you are happy with the colour's coverage, you can vary the water paint consistency for different results in coverage.

The advantage of using watered down paint is, that the below natural surface and shading shines through and the water is absorbed by the dry leaves and happily suck in and hold your paint mix.

Below a few examples i did, blues and greens might lead to a more saturated result than red or orange colours, since that's the moss natural colours.

What all this for?
Well so you can create dense foliage for bases, dioramas or terrain-pieces. Normal hobby tufts could be coloured as well but all look like grass. With moss you can create a different look and more variety also colouring is quite easy and helps to ad diversity.

On the downside, still it will not be very resilient, although prepared with hairspray, single leaves may break off easy by touching or dropping the clumps. Those tufts are more suitable for miniatures that are display pieces or not moved/touched that often.

Last but not least, it's dirt cheap!

I will use more blues for a river base and/or for an alien worldy look on bases.

Hope you liked my little Tut :)
>> Text goes 'ere <<

OldschoolgameroO

Re: Tuft Tutorial from Moss

Post by OldschoolgameroO » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:24 am

:luv:

Intriguing, the results look great! Might have to play around with this. Thanks for the tur Moto
Phill wrote:Can't a guy admire another guys tentacles?

JESUS people!

Phill

Post by Phill » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:26 am

ooooh :luv:
One rule to rule them all:

Don't be a dick.

Dai

Post by Dai » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:03 am

Wow, looks lovely. Thanks Mina!
Arse! Feck! Drink! Girls!