Pandemic

Making something fun? Pics or it never happened.
Phill

Re: Pandemic

Post by Phill » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:51 pm

All kinda of loveliness sir :)
One rule to rule them all:

Don't be a dick.

Stelio

Post by Stelio » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:13 am

Yesterday's sword arm was actually really well attached this morning! I was surprised by that! But while checking the sword arm, the hourglass fell off. Arse.

Man, it's really dull just doing a little bit of metal gluing each night and that's it. But indeed all I got done was attempting (again) to attach the banner pole to Epidemius. I think I might have got it. I spent around an hour and a half just holding it in place by hand. Here it is in its final overnight setting position.

So to liven things up, here's one I made earlier: a plague drone! The wings and head are tilted to one side, and I've deliberately switched the front and back legs as an aesthetic choice.

I'm beginning to suspect that I may not be ready with a full 1500 points in time. :grumble:

Phill

Post by Phill » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:47 pm

You may be late with your 1500 points sir, but you will still have the best god damn looking army there.

:luv:
One rule to rule them all:

Don't be a dick.

Tapeworm

Post by Tapeworm » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:43 am

Wait until you start GS sculpting. That can take forever if you are trying to do a lot of details. That’s why the guys that are actually good at it (not me) do it in batches of models.

minamoto

Post by minamoto » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:34 am

For glueing metal, parts that I don't want to pin I always use the "greenstuff method". Have you tried that?

Form a small blob or a very flat piece of GS, put some super glue on your model, carefully lay the GS piece on that and then add another drop of super glue on the part you want to glue on and then press it firmly onto the prepared piece of the actuall model.

Afterwards you can carefully trim any GS that pours out or use a sculpting tool to neatly form the seamline.

Don't know why, but GS and super glue reacts and create a firm bond, so it easy to attach some of the smaller pieces that would be a pain to pin with wire or such. Also it easily should hold any smaller pieces that are not that heavy.

For heavier or structural parts you probably have to pin anyways.

Maybe that heps with the hour glass.
Last edited by minamoto on Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
>> Text goes 'ere <<

Stelio

Post by Stelio » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:34 am

Phill wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:47 pm
...you will still have the best god damn looking army there.
Heh, when I get around to painting it, perhaps.
:rasp:

Mmm. Green stuff. I've done even less with that than with paint. I reckon I'm going to have to use it for some touching up (covering gaps and the like), but new sculpted features are not a present concern.

...oh, except maybe for the Daemon Prince who could do with some kind of cloak or furs coming down his back. But yeah, later.

Meanwhile, it was St. Valentine's day yesterday, so we got a takeaway curry, ate chocolates, and snuggled on the sofa watching Avengers: Age of Ultron. But in other news, the banner pole on Epidemius has really stuck well! I'm very pleasantly surprised and happy.

minamoto

Post by minamoto » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:45 am

Stelio wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:34 am
Mmm. Green stuff. I've done even less with that than with paint. I reckon I'm going to have to use it for some touching up (covering gaps and the like), but new sculpted features are not a present concern.
Hmm, it's less in the meaning of forming more tenticals or testicals to Epidemus, rather using the chemical properties to use it as sort of glue.
Where plastic glue solves the material and create a bond by sort of welding, metal can't do that. Well technical it could do that, but then Epidemus will show his true shape :rasp:
Stelio wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:34 am
Meanwhile, it was St. Valentine's day yesterday, so we got a takeaway curry, ate chocolates, and snuggled on the sofa watching Avengers: Age of Ultron. But in other news, the banner pole on Epidemius has really stuck well! I'm very pleasantly surprised and happy.
I am confused... XD :luv:
>> Text goes 'ere <<

Tapeworm

Post by Tapeworm » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:41 pm

That’s the first time I’ve seen a Nurgle reference used for sex. So you really stuck Epidemius’ banner pole well? XD

Stelio

Post by Stelio » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:00 am

Well, what can I say? Any man should be proud if he can keep his banner pole erect. :scheveningen:
minamoto wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:45 am
Hmm, it's less in the meaning of forming more tentacles or testicles to Epidemius, rather using the chemical properties to use it as sort of glue.
Absolutely! That's a great tip. My reply above was to Tapeworm. (You and me cross-posted almost simultaneously.)

I'm surprised that method works so well, as I've found superglue to be pretty poor at gluing metal to metal. But I suppose part of the issue is that the two metal parts need to meet exactly for the superglue to work well, and using the adhesive green stuff solves that. I shall look at giving it a go at some point. Thank you!

Last night's update: I've been cutting out the plastic plaguebearers. Much faster that working with metal! And the casts are excellent: lots of parts that fit together in different combinations, sprues attach to components for the most part at connection points that are hidden on the final model, and very little in the way of mould lines. Two are complete (champion and standard bearer), and I'm cutting out all the parts for the rest before assembling them simultaneously.

This evening I'm off up to Northumberland for the weekend, going straight from work. Perhaps I'll get some more time on Sunday evening? If not, then Monday.

Tapeworm

Post by Tapeworm » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:15 am

The plastic plague bearers I have are nicely done. They were easy to put together and were crisp sculpts with no mold misalignment or flashing.