Spammers

An area to introduce yourself, tell stories, tell stories and...trade stuff. And that.
minamoto

Re: Spammers

Post by minamoto » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:06 pm

Stelio wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:51 pm
minamoto wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:10 pm
The really strange thing is that they don't are registered accounts.
I assumed that was because Squig was deleting the accounts really quickly.

If that's not the case, you'd better check for a new release of the underlying phpB code, as there may be a critical security vulnerability which has since been patched. (To be fair, it's worth making sure you're on the latest stable release anyway.)
I totally would also blame squig!

Naahh, it's not the deleting, we had several accounts that have been deactivated and banned ips, e-mails and such. after that they did come spamming anyways.

There's indeed a new release out, that was step one for the weekend. Last time it was somehow strange to do this so I am a bit cautionous htis time. PLUS I found serveral countermeasures Extensions that might be useful to use :)

Zazel

Post by Zazel » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:01 am

I spotted quite a few early on, managed to log on within 20 mins of posts so flagged

Martijn

Post by Martijn » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:55 pm

So it seems as if there is no more spambot activity then? Still not sure how they were able to circumvent an Ip ban... assuming the ones that followed the first three spambots were also using the same Ip.

Bunch of bloody tossers, these spambots. A pox on their cheeky bum cheeks. :grumble:
Phill wrote:Every time we chat, you eat. Every time it is f***ing gouda.
Tapeworm wrote:A todger? :shifty: What's that?

Tapeworm

Post by Tapeworm » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:49 pm

I'm so glad y'all were able to nip that in the bud! :thumbsup:

It was kind of overwhelming there for a bit.

Martijn

Post by Martijn » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:14 pm

Stuff like this used to be daily routine on Deathguard.org, remember? I wish these bots would be programmed to only target forums with more than fifteen members. XD

Tapeworm

Post by Tapeworm » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:53 am

Really? Y'all did a good job of keeping it clean. I had no idea!

Martijn

Post by Martijn » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:35 pm

If I remember correctly we had a dozen or so mods and admins from all over the world at that site, so there was almost always someone online to delete spambots and their drivel ASAP. I was the moderator fortunate enough to be online one morning when a spambot had just posted about forty messages containing photoshopped images of Mel Gibson and Johnny Depp playing hanky-panky. Still wake up screaming after all these years. :sad:

Dai

Post by Dai » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:21 pm

Martijn wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:35 pm
If I remember correctly we had a dozen or so mods and admins from all over the world at that site, so there was almost always someone online to delete spambots and their drivel ASAP. I was the moderator fortunate enough to be online one morning when a spambot had just posted about forty messages containing photoshopped images of Mel Gibson and Johnny Depp playing hanky-panky. Still wake up screaming after all these years. :sad:
Whatever Squigg - that was your thang. XD XD XD

In all serious though, thankyou Mods and Admins and Kings and Queens and Archdukes for keeping this place safe and sound from intrusive shitbags. :thumbsup:

Martijn

Post by Martijn » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:46 pm

To be honest I WAS tempted to save those pics to my hard drive for future mischief, but I was afraid they'd have viruses. ;)

minamoto

Post by minamoto » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:27 pm

from my knowledge and experience this shite just happens from time to time, working in online marketing you hear each month or so of another attack here or there. That's pretty common - sadly. Usually one would try to rip off a company to get some cash out of it.

So it's like a rising and falling tide.

Changed a few things with the registration process, also banning and deleting the silly bots. Hopefully we'll have some more days of happy spamming on our own.

One have to be mindfull, not clicking Mel Gibs little thong, in the webs.

Thank YOU guys for reporting all the crap so I could easily delete it :thumbsup: